Thursday, February 28, 2013

Outline Development

As discussed with Mr. Hamilton, instead of compiling the 1000 words today which I believe will be forced and ineffective in terms of the final essay, I am going to list out here the extent of the research that I have done and it's importance.

I have also discussed with him the timeline that I have given myself - the fact that I have dedicated over a month of summer in Hong Kong to work on the extended essay exclusively. I believe we agreed that this period of time is valid and appropriate and that I am confident in my own time management skills so that I am sure that I can complete the entire thing, a complete first draft at the very least, done by the first day of school for grade 12


Interviews and discussions: 

Jesse Lentchner: 
With my dad I have discussed the means and methods of which I can attempt to accumulate the knowledge that is necessary in order to access the extent of the economic information that I will need. He has directed me towards several different sources such as the Wall Street Journal and New York Time's old archives which could have primary source evidence of the impact it was having economically back in the cities. 

Kevin Hoye: 
With my literature teacher - though I plan on revisiting him in the future - I have discussed the implications of the passage that I am analyzing. Here I am attempting to make sure that the irony in which is the basis of my entire essay, is valid and well placed. I also hope to use him as a reference in future interpretations that I find.

On a different note, though related, I have began to look into some basic interpretations that people have of the book. I have found that the more similar mine is to the majority of the people's the less words I will need to spend on it during the essay instead. I have currently looked at an obvious one: SparkNotes and another linked here: 

http://www.shmoop.com/1984/literary-devices.html 

Arthur Klatt: 
With my history teacher I have gone to see him regarding my essay once now but also plan on revisiting him. I discussed the ways in which I could attempt to make my essay more contemporarily focused without changing what I was already working with. He came up with a suggestion that mirrored what we were discussing in class - the addition of "through the modern historian's perspective" or "through the perspective of the revisionist historian." 

However after my latest discussion with Mr. Hamilton, I am definitely going to be looking into some different alternative situations that the US is involved in that are perhaps more recent. 

I did some initial research into the US's involvement in Iraq and how that could potentially fit, however it turns out that economically it would have been a failure, and the country cost over 3 billion dollars in keeping up the war effort with no positive repercussions  So I will have to do some more research but as of now it is seemingly unlikely that I will find one that matches my situation as clearly. 

 Sources: 
I have also used the school resource of Questia to help me find papers and documents that are useful. I have screen shotted below some of the saved documents that I am working on. 



No comments:

Post a Comment