EE OUTLINE:
As I have my topic already chosen and a mock research question already in place, I realize now that the important thing I need to achieve is the finalization of this question. After conferring with Mr. Hamilton, my supervisor, I realized that I required a more “modern” approach to my extended essay as opposed to one that was more strictly research based. As I discussed in my Researchers Reflection Space, I have thought about changing my question to include perhaps looking at the issue through a modern historian’s perspective or pushing that even further a revisionists. This is where I will be focusing my first elements of research - on looking into how I can manipulate the question to encompass a therefore more modern element.
Once this has been done I plan on finalizing my question, having a meeting with my supervisor and then beginning the bulk of my long research. As I have also previously discussed in my researcher’s reflection space, I plan on going over 1984 to try and find the essence of what Orwell is discussing and pulling out the relevant information that I can then base my proofs off of.
After completing this, I plan on beginning my interviews as the first step in research development. I plan to post the list of people that I plan to interview and what to ask them questions on in my researchers reflection space. However the overall idea is to discuss with my literature teacher on confirming my interpretations of Orwell’s ironic premise; my father for discussing the best places to accumulate economic research and data that will be relevant to the specificities of what I am trying to prove; as well as my history teacher and the librarian to discuss the best places to accumulate first person/primary source information about World War II that I could use. Another discussion I would like to have with my history teacher is that in discussing the ability to change my question to a more modern context and whether the description through a historian’s perspective will inhibit the content of the essay and what I am trying to prove.
Following the compilation of interviews with these people, I plan on being the “real” research: pulling out the most significant quotations from the text that I can use, not only from the passage itself but from the entirety of the novel; accumulating the statistics and figures that are required to prove the concept, and a collection of background research on the war that I can use to make sure that all of my information is in context, relevant, reliable and true. This would also be the time where I could begin to write my introduction as I believe I would, at this point, be able to understand where my essay is going and what information will back it up even if I do not have the concrete facts. Writing the introduction in advance as well will help me to remain on focused throughout the essay and in finding the information so that, like the personal project, I do not end up spending much time researching relevant but useless information and can get right to the facts that I need. This is my plan!
Word Count: 540
No comments:
Post a Comment